Zone Campfire
Wednesday, May 26, 2004
 
What are you reading?
I've been reading The South Beach Diet recently, and I find Agatston interesting but not in a breakthrough kind of way. There is now another diet book along the same lines from a doc in the Hamptons. Apparently every MD from a chi-chi community has to write a diet book whether he or she has anything new to say.

I've also been reading The Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren, in conjunction with a study series we're doing. I find it a helpful book even though I don't agree with Warren on several things.

For fun I've been re-reading The Martian Chronicles. I hadn't read it since eighth grade, and it is still a work of art.

Comments:
Cindy:

There have been polemics written in response to the DeVinci Code. The problem is that it is a novel that begins with a statement, "This is fact..." followed by a completely revisionist description of the Nicene Council and much of early church history and the development of the biblical canon.

I've read original documents from and case studies of the early church councils, and the claims of "The Code" are beyond ludicrous. As a novel, it is an interesting piece of work, but as a source of insight, it is a pile of doody.
 
Tim:

I hope you get a chance to see Pope John Paul II. I have such great admiration for him. Most people don't realize that he was much more responsible for planting and watering the seeds that brought the downfall of the Soviet empire than was Ronald Reagan.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger